The term Internet refers to the global network of public computers
running Internet Protocol.
In other words, the Internet, sometimes called simply “the Net,” is a worldwide system of computer networks that allows users to send and receive information from other computers. (definition source: www.aishealth.com/EHealthBusiness/EHealthTerms.html)
Advantages and Disadvantages of Internet
Today, the Internet is one of the most powerful tools throughout the world. I think using internet has more advantages then disadvantages. Let us first check the advantages.
Advantages of Internet
1) E-mail: Email is now an essential communication tools in business. With e-mail you can send and receive instant electronic messages, which works like writing letters. Your messages are delivered instantly to people anywhere in the world, unlike traditional mail that takes a lot of time. Email is free and fast when compared to telephone, fax and postal services. Just compare the costs of sending out physical mailing to 5,000 addresses, with the costs of an e-mailing to 50.000 e-mail addresses.
2) 24 hours a day - 7 days a week: Even if no staff is in your office, visitors will come to your website using Internet.
3) Information: Information is probably the biggest advantage internet is offering. There is a huge amount of information available on the internet for just about every subject, ranging from government law and services, trade fairs and conferences, market information, new ideas and technical support. You can almost find any type of data on almost any kind of subject that you are looking for by using search engines like google, yahoo, msn, etc.
4) Online Chat: You can access many ‘chat rooms’ on the web that can be used to meet new people, make new friends, as well as to stay in touch with old friends.
5) Services: Many services are provided on the internet like net banking, job searching, purchasing tickets, hotel reservations, guidance services on array of topics engulfing the every aspect of life.
6) Communities: Communities of all types have sprung up on the internet. Its a great way to meet up with people of similar interest and discuss common issues.
7) Ecommerce: Along with getting information on the Internet, you can also shop online. There are many online stores and sites that can be used to look for products as well as buy them using your credit card. You do not need to leave your house and can do all your shopping from the convenience of your home. It has got a real amazing and wide range of products from household needs, electronics to entertainment.
8) Software Downloads: You can freely download innumerable, softwares like utilities, games, music, videos, movies, etc from the Internet.
Disadvantages of Internet
Theft of Personal information: Electronic messages sent over the Internet can be easily snooped and tracked, revealing who is talking to whom and what they are talking about. If you use the Internet, your personal information such as your name, address, credit card, bank details and other information can be accessed by culprits. If you use a credit card or internet banking for online shopping, then your details can also be ‘stolen’.
Negative effects on family communication: Although there are conflicting research findings on this topic, an article published by Science Daily reported that time spent on the Internet was associated with later declines in within house family communication and a decrease in the number of friends and acquaintances with which they kept ties.
Internet addiction: There is some controversy over whether it is possible to actually be addicted to the Internet or not. Some researchers, claim that it is simply people trying to escape their problems in an online world and cannot be classified as an addiction.
Other psychologists, believe that Internet addiction is a true psychological disorder with definable symptoms. The symptoms are comparable to any addiction, withdrawal, loss of relationships or job and significant time consumption.