Implementation of an Open Source School Web Learning
With Virtual Learning Environments having now developed
into mature systems capable of supporting a range of pedagogical
models, it has become necessary to examine the effectiveness
of these systems in meeting the needs of the school environment.
This project aims to be a starting point for further research
into this area by providing a nontheoretical view of the needs
of a secondary school and the effectiveness of a specific
Virtual Learning Environment (Moodle) in meeting those needs.
This project is primarily an investigation into whether the
open source Virtual Learning Environment (VLE) known as Moodle
is capable of meeting the requirements for web-based distributed
learning found within a secondary school environment. This
project aims to provide a factual account of the requirements
for web-based learning within a specific secondary school
and the abilities of Moodle in meeting them, to be used as
an aid for schools investigating which VLE to implement and
a starting point for further research.
This project aims to examine the application of open source
software in web-based learning within a secondary school environment,
through customisation and implementation of a Moodle Virtual
Learning Environment solution to meet a chosen school's virtual
learning needs. The objectives of this project are:
- Research the subjects of Learning, Teaching, Open Source
Software and Virtual Learning Environments within Secondary
- Identify and adopt a suitable methodology capable of providing
the necessary structure for the project life cycle.
- Gather the requirements for a Virtual Learning Environment
from technicians, teachers and students at the chosen school
and from these, derive a set of core fundamental requirements
to be addressed primarily.
- Develop a suitable look for the Moodle installation that
fits within the current systems used by the chosen school.
- Develop a Moodle solution capable of meeting the core
requirements of the chosen school.
- Make the developed Moodle solution available for use by
the chosen school.
- Contribute modifications and findings back to the Moodle
The minimum requirements for this project are:
- A literary review of existing material on the subjects
of teaching, learning and Virtual Learning Environments.
- A requirement document generated through interview with
- An open source Moodle solution customised to meet core
requirements and to match existing systems within the chosen
- Deployment of the solution for use by the chosen school.
- An evaluation of the final solution against the specified
A few possible enhancements to the project are listed below:
- The inclusion of non-core requirements into the system
including real time chat and revision quizzes.
- The generation of material to assist with the usage of
the LPS Moodle environment.
- An evaluation of the project process.